All accident victims deserve to be able to defend their rights, but this is especially true for those who have sustained injuries in the course of their work duties. Unfortunately, millions of farmers and agricultural workers across America have found themselves in this exact situation after contracting Parkinson’s disease as a result of exposure to paraquat, an herbicide that is found in numerous agricultural products.
It’s no secret that we as a nation rely heavily on our agricultural industries to keep us fed and healthy. As such, the workers who help make this possible deserve to have the best legal resources at their disposal in their time of need. Thankfully, that’s where we come in – Van Law Firm is standing by to take your call.
As America’s paraquat attorneys, we can review your claim and help forge a path toward fair compensation. Call our office nearest you now to get started and learn more about working with our mass torts lawyer.
How Can Our Paraquat Attorneys Manage Your Case?
The legal team at our law firm can manage your paraquat exposure lawsuit if your injuries or illness are linked to the chemical. On top of helping you seek financial compensation, we can also:
- Work with healthcare professionals to prove that your injuries or illness are linked to paraquat exposure
- Speak to expert witnesses who can support your case
- Answer any of your case-related questions
- Communicate with any other parties who may be involved in your case
- Collect evidence of all your economic and non-economic losses
- Establish the link between paraquat exposure to the adverse health effects you’re enduring
- Explain the results of any scientific studies about the toxic herbicide
- Keep your case moving along so that you do not miss any filing deadlines
- Determine your legal options, whether that includes joining a mass tort lawsuit or filing your own paraquat lawsuit
When you work with Van Law Firm, our personal injury attorneys will aggressively pursue the fair compensation you deserve.
We Can Help You File Your Paraquat Lawsuit Without Charging You Anything Upfront
Our firm knows that you might be facing high medical costs after being diagnosed with a paraquat-related injury or illness. We do not aim to make your financial burden any greater, which is why we will take your case on a contingency-fee basis. This means we do not ask you to pay us any fees upfront or out-of-pocket. Instead, we take an agreed-upon percentage of your final settlement.
The legal team at Van Law Firm also provides paraquat victims with a free initial consultation. During your consultation, we can answer any questions you have and determine the legal options you have for seeking justice.
See What Former Clients Say About Partnering With Van Law Firm
After working with our team, former clients leave us five-star reviews. Read what some of them have to say:
- “I was recommended to Van Law Firm and Karin by my sister, and I am glad retained Van Law Firm. Van Law Firm has an amazing staff! Karin and his team helped me every step of the way with any questions I had. They gave me updates on how my case was going. Karin is diligent with his work and made sure my concerns were always addressed. There was never a moment I felt uninformed. He’s devoted to the work he does and his clients. Thank you Van Law Firm, Karin, and all the support team.” – Anthony Gomez
- “These guys are amazing. Helped me throughout the process. Always there when I need help…Van Law Firm accepted my case without a second thought! Kudos to Daniel, my case manager, and Amanda who expedited my payment process. Highly recommended.” – Milby Mags
You can see what other clients say about us on our testimonials page.
For a free legal consultation with a paraquat lawyer serving Nationwide, call (725) 900-9000
Recoverable Damages in a Toxic Chemical Lawsuit
When you file a paraquat lawsuit, you can recover a range of economic and non-economic damages. Our team can help you seek financial compensation for:
- All your medical expenses, including the cost of your future medical care. This could include prescription medications, assistive medical devices, doctor’s appointments, follow-up visits, and travel to see specialists.
- Lost income. If you are injured or sick because of paraquat, you probably won’t be able to work. We can help you seek compensation for any income you lose because of your condition.
- Reduced earning capacity, if your medical condition does not allow you to return to your former job. Some paraquat exposure victims have to take lower-paying jobs to accommodate their health issues.
- Physical pain and suffering, for the discomfort your condition causes.
- Mental anguish. Some injury victims suffer from depression and anxiety after suffering illness or injury from a dangerous chemical.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. Your medical condition could prevent you from participating in activities you once enjoyed. This may entitle you to compensation.
- Wrongful death damages, if your loved one passed away because of exposure to paraquat. You might be entitled to compensation for funeral and burial expenses, final medical bills, loss of companionship, and emotional distress.
The amount of compensation and types of damages you can recover depends on the details of your case Our team will gladly assess your legal options before advising you to accept a settlement offer.
Nationwide Paraquat Lawyer Near Me (725) 900-9000
Paraquat: History, Use, and Litigation
Paraquat is a popular herbicide that has been widely used and circulated ever since it was introduced all the way back in the 1960s. It is a liquid herbicide, and it is so powerful that it can begin to kill weeds immediately upon contact, which is a big reason as to why it’s so popular. Paraquat products are typically mixed by hand and sprayed on desired areas either by hand or machine, and all of those practices are considered to be dangerous for workers’ safety.
Despite the proven toxicity of paraquat and its connections to Parkinson’s and other maladies, its use continues to increase domestically. In fact, data from the National Water-Quality Assessment Project shows that in the ten-year period from 2006 to 2016, paraquat use more than doubled in the U.S. Interestingly enough, the main reason behind this is that sanctions on other agricultural chemicals have largely hampered their production, allowing paraquat to further increase in popularity.
It must be noted that the rest of the world does not share the same feelings about the herbicide–paraquat has been formally banned by over 30 countries around the world, from China to Brazil. As of now, no U.S. agencies or officials have proposed any paraquat-related sanctions, and in October 2020 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced that there was “currently no need” for widespread paraquat restrictions at this time.
What Is the Connection Between Paraquat Products and Parkinson’s?
There are numerous conditions and health risks associated with paraquat products, but Parkinson’s disease is easily the most notable. Parkinson’s disease is a neurological condition that severely affects an individual’s cognitive ability, speech, movement, and motor skills. The condition is progressive and chronic, meaning that once you are diagnosed, you will have the condition for the rest of your life and it will gradually worsen over time.
The signature symptom of Parkinson’s is the frequent muscle tremors that cause victims to constantly shake. Aside from therapies and medications, there are no long-term cures.
Scientists have been studying the connection between paraquat products and Parkinson’s for decades. Essentially, researchers have found that paraquat wreaks havoc on our body’s cells–if it reaches an individual’s brain, it will begin to damage large numbers of brain cells, which in turn makes the body much more susceptible to neurological ailments like Parkinson’s or dementia.
Anyone who has used or been exposed to paraquat as part of their work duties is encouraged to seek medical attention as soon as possible, especially if they are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Dizziness, nausea, or vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Inflammation of the mouth or throat
- Increased heart rate
- Trouble breathing or respiratory problems
- Pulmonary edema
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Other Health Concerns Caused by Paraquat
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are several symptoms and health concerns associated with paraquat exposure. Right after you ingest paraquat, the CDC says you may notice symptoms like pain and swelling in your throat and mouth, followed by gastrointestinal symptoms.
Ingesting small amounts of paraquat can cause health issues like heart failure, liver failure, kidney failure, and lung scarring. However, ingesting large amounts of the dangerous product may lead to:
- Acute kidney failure
- Weakened muscles
- Heart injury
- Increased heart rate
- Breathing failure
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms after being exposed to paraquat, visit a doctor right away.
What Are the Long-Term Issues Connected to Paraquat Exposure?
If you are exposed to paraquat over a large period of time, you’re more likely to suffer from serious health problems like:
- Long-term lung damage
- Heart failure
- Esophageal swelling, which makes it difficult to swallow
If your loved one passed away from an extended period of paraquat exposure, please accept our sincere condolences. You have legal options for seeking justice and compensation.
Are Certain Paraquat Companies and Products Facing More Claims Than Others?
Paraquat claims are somewhat unique in the sense that it is not an individual product that is manufactured by one company. Instead, it is used by multiple companies for numerous products, which means that you will have to determine the correct product and company for your claim, and a paraquat attorney can certainly help with this. Here are some products and manufacturers that are currently facing a large number of claims:
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Co.
As of now, litigation surrounding paraquat claims is still in the developmental stages. Unfortunately, the COVID pandemic has had a large impact on proceedings, but thankfully the Judicial Panel for Multidistrict Litigation filed to create MDL 3004 in order to begin the process of curating the number of overall claims. This is just another reminder that time is limited, and anyone who is considering coming forward with a claim should do so quickly.
Steps to Take If You Believe You Were Exposed to Paraquat
If you know or believe you were exposed to paraquat, our team recommends you take the following steps. Taking these actions could support your paraquat lawsuit:
- Seek emergency medical attention as soon as you believe you may have been exposed to paraquat. We will use your medical records to prove your injuries were caused by the chemical.
- Take off any clothing that may have been covered in liquid paraquat. Don’t pull your clothing over your head, though. Instead, cut it off your body and dispose of it by placing it in several layers of plastic bags. Then, call your local health department for further disposal instructions.
- Shower immediately after paraquat exposure. Use generous amounts of soap and water. You may even want to rinse your eyes if you think any of the chemical could have touched them.
In some cases, paraquat exposure is inevitable. However, taking these recommended actions right after exposure could protect your safety. It could even save your life.
Questions? Call America’s Paraquat Attorneys at Van Law Firm
If you have any questions regarding a potential paraquat claim, don’t hesitate to contact the award-winning team of paraquat attorneys from Van Law Firm. We can help you tackle any claim, regardless of who’s responsible for your damages. With over 500 5-star reviews so far, it’s clear that our clients are our first priority–call our office nearest you today to begin with a risk-free consultation and case review.
During your consultation, we will answer any questions you have and provide you with legal advice about your next steps. We’re available 24/7 to listen to the details of your case.
No obligation consultations are always free.Let Us Help You! Call Now: (725) 900-9000
These guys are amazing. Helped me throughout the process. Always there when I need help. Inititailly called a law firm (the one that has lots of ads on the radio), but they declined my case. Van Law Firm accepted my case without a second thought! Kudos to Daniel, my case manager, and Amanda who expedited my payment process. Highly recommended.Milby Mags
Got in an accident at the beginning of the year and they have been awesome, especially with it being my first accident and me being like this. They have been very communicated, stayed in contact with me the whole time, giving me updates when there were any and even when there weren’t and answered any question I had. I would recommend them to anyone. Everyone I have talked to there has been very friendly. I would give them a 10 out of 10.Ethan Gullet
They made sure that my insurance company covered what I paid for them to which included the gap for my car that was totaled. My medical costs were taken care of and reduced substantially so I was able to get more on my settlement. My case manager, Will Garcia, was always helpful in assisting me and answering any questions I had. They really did an amazing job with my case. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of this type of legal help. Most lawyers do not help you with the recovery of the car and rental etc. They are amazing.Teresa Cuthbertson