Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are chemicals manufacturers often use to make consumer, commercial, and industrial products. Unfortunately, recent research shows these chemicals remain in the environment for a prolonged time and cause cancer and several other severe health conditions.
If you have cancer or other adverse health effects after suffering exposure to PFAS, you can seek compensation. PFAS class action lawsuits are ongoing, and a personal injury attorney with Van Law can help with your case. We can give you additional PFAS class action lawsuit information.
Thousands Have Successfully Sued Over PFAS Contamination
According to Reuters, litigation involving PFAS and their harmful effect on the environment, humans, and animals began in the late 1990s when several individuals filed suit against DuPont for contaminating water wells and public water supplies in Parkersburg, West Virginia. Eventually, the claims consolidated into a class action involving more than 80,000 plaintiffs and billions of dollars in settlements.
Other PFAS settlements include:
- $850 million paid to the state of Minnesota over contamination in the Twin Cities region
- $113 million paid by Wolverine World Wide Inc. to several municipalities in Michigan regarding the contamination of private water wells
- $2 million paid to Salt Lake City, Utah, over contamination of the water authority’s treatment system
PFAS lawsuits currently working their way through the courts include, but are not limited to:
- A case filed by the Jackson Hole Airport over soil and groundwater contamination caused by firefighting foam
- A case against Shiseido Americas Corp. over cosmetics contamination
- A case against McDonald’s Corporation regarding PFAS in fast food packaging
- A case against Procter & Gamble (P&G) over PFAS in dental floss
For a free legal consultation with a pfas class action lawyer serving Nationwide, call (725) 900-9000
Our Attorneys Can Help You Join a PFAS Class Action Lawsuit
If you or your loved one has a health condition associated with exposure to PFAS via food, water, or a contaminated product, our attorneys can help you seek justice with a PFAS class action lawsuit. A class action is a legal procedure that allows many plaintiffs harmed by the same defendant to join together to take legal action.
Our team has experience with mass tort and class action cases. We currently represent clients in cases involving dangerous products and defective drugs, including Zantac, Elmiron, and Truvada. Van Law serves clients in Las Vegas, Nevada at large, and Washington state. We offer free consultations and can take your case at no upfront cost to you.
Nationwide PFAS Class Action Lawyer Near Me (725) 900-9000
Damages You Can Recover With a PFAS Class Action Lawsuit
According to the National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), studies show that PFAS can cause altered metabolism, obesity, fertility problems, lowered immune system, reduced fetal growth, liver disease, kidney disease, and some cancers. However, scientists continue to research PFAS, and the full scope of their adverse health effects is still unknown.
If you or your loved one suffers from an illness associated with exposure to PFAS, the entity that exposed you to these harmful chemicals may be liable for your losses. In general, if you have a health condition caused by PFAS, our lawyers can help you pursue:
- Medical expenses. We can help you seek reimbursement for diagnostic testing, doctor’s visits, hospitalizations, medical procedures, prescription drugs, cancer treatments, and any other necessary medical care related to PFAS exposure. Medical damages may include past, current, and future medical bills.
- Lost wages. If you have missed work due to your PFAS-related medical condition, we can seek your back pay and lost benefits, bonuses, and earnings. If your health problems force you to change jobs, reduce your hours, or quit working, we can also pursue compensation for the loss of your earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. A severe health condition can cause immense physical, mental, and emotional suffering and alter your way of life. We can help you seek compensation for stress, anguish, inconvenience, and reduced quality of life.
- Wrongful death. If your loved one died from cancer or another illness caused by PFAS, you may qualify for a wrongful death claim. We will pursue compensation for you. Awards may include the deceased’s medical bills, funeral and burial expenses, lost income, and lost support and services. Not everyone can file a wrongful death lawsuit. Our lawyers can determine if you can and help you through the process.
You Have a Limited Time to Pursue Your Case
You must pursue your PFAS class action lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires, or you may not be able to recover your damages. How long you have to take action depends on where you live.
NRS § 11.190(4)(e) allows Nevada residents up to two years to file their case. Residents of Washington State have three years to take legal action under RCW § 4.16.080. A lawyer with Van Law can tell you more about how these deadlines affect your case and help you get started before time runs out.
More about PFAS Contamination and Exposure
The NIH reports that 97 percent of Americans have PFAS in their blood. Exposure can stem from contact with products containing PFAS and from ingesting or inhaling PFAS found in food, water, and soil. Additionally, because the chemicals degrade slowly, they remain in the environment for an extended time and can build up in our systems.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you can get exposed to PFAS through:
- Food packaging
- Stain resistant coatings
- Water-repellent clothing and fabrics
- Cleaning products
- Sealants, varnishes, and paints
- Nail polish
If you have a related health condition and work with PFAS, use products containing PFAS, or live in an area contaminated by an industrial or commercial process involving PFAS, you may have grounds for a class action lawsuit.
If you qualify for legal action, our lawyers can assist with every step of your case, from filing your claim to negotiating a settlement. We are here to fight for you, and we will not back down in the face of powerful or wealthy corporations.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Van Law Today
Contact Van Law today for more PFAS class action lawsuit information and to take advantage of our risk-free consultations. A member of our team is available 24/7. Call us today!
No obligation consultations are always free.Let Us Help You! Call Now: (725) 900-9000
These guys are amazing. Helped me throughout the process. Always there when I need help. Inititailly called a law firm (the one that has lots of ads on the radio), but they declined my case. Van Law Firm accepted my case without a second thought! Kudos to Daniel, my case manager, and Amanda who expedited my payment process. Highly recommended.Milby Mags
Got in an accident at the beginning of the year and they have been awesome, especially with it being my first accident and me being like this. They have been very communicated, stayed in contact with me the whole time, giving me updates when there were any and even when there weren’t and answered any question I had. I would recommend them to anyone. Everyone I have talked to there has been very friendly. I would give them a 10 out of 10.Ethan Gullet
They made sure that my insurance company covered what I paid for them to which included the gap for my car that was totaled. My medical costs were taken care of and reduced substantially so I was able to get more on my settlement. My case manager, Will Garcia, was always helpful in assisting me and answering any questions I had. They really did an amazing job with my case. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of this type of legal help. Most lawyers do not help you with the recovery of the car and rental etc. They are amazing.Teresa Cuthbertson