Representing Seattle Accident Victims
Van Law Firm is a full-service personal injury firm ready to assist Seattle accident victims and their families. We regularly work on a wide variety of cases, from premises liability incidents to defective products, vehicle accidents, and more. Our elite legal team as well as our dedication to top-notch client service make us one of the premier firms in Washington. We have a 5-star reputation across Google, Avvo, and more, so if our sentiments don’t convince you, our satisfied clients will.
A more in-depth list of cases we accept will include:
- Slip and falls
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist accidents
- Car accidents
- Drunk driving
- Motorcycle accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Workers’ compensation
- Bad faith insurance claims
- Defective products, drugs, and medical devices
We have the resources to assist all clients no matter how severe the injuries are, such as those who have suffered paralysis, brain damage, or neck injuries. Even when there is a death involved, we can help victims’ families recover compensation for the loss of their loved one.
Personal Injury Law in Washington
Personal injury cases are categorized under a field of law referred to as tort law, which is where the majority of civil suits fall into. Essentially, the purpose of tort law is to offer relief to those who have been harmed by the behavior of another. In all personal injury cases, the plaintiff (injuree) must prove that the defendant (injurer) somehow acted wrongly, which resulted in financial and physical damages for the plaintiff. Each state has their own specific guidelines that govern personal injury cases, but the state of Washington does follow a policy known as comparative fault.
Comparative fault means that more than one person can be deemed as being at fault. For instance, in a given situation, Driver A may be given 70 percent of the blame but Driver B still accounts for the remaining 30 percent. This percentage value will be deducted from your overall settlement. Using the same example, Driver B’s settlement will be reduced by 30 percent because that was determined to be his or her liability.
Possible Damages to Recover
The injuries sustained are unique to each case, and so is the reimbursement. The scope and scale of a potential settlement will depend on a few factors, such as the extent of the plaintiff’s injuries, the severity of the defendant’s negligence, and the parameters of the accident itself. Damages fall into two categories, compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages are the most common, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
Punitive damages are much rarer by comparison and are only awarded in extremely violent or serious cases. They are heavy fines that go beyond normal compensation and are meant to set an example for extremely reckless behavior. To give an example, a millionaire CEO may be forced to pay punitive damages after drunkenly driving his Ferrari into a preschool.
With decades of experience litigating cases and negotiating with insurance companies, we have the tools and the knowledge to handle the complexities of any case, from minor injuries all the way up to wrongful death. We do everything in our power to work out a favorable settlement, but if that just won’t happen, we are fully prepared to argue your case in a court of law. Almost all of our attorneys have experience working in insurance defense, so we are never caught off guard.
Let us help you!
Connect With Seattle Personal Injury Attorneys
Why Should You Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
How Long Can a Personal Injury Case Take?
What You Should Know If You Were Involved in a Parking Lot Crash?