The deadline to file a Camp Lejeune lawsuit is August 10, 2024. Anyone who does not take action within this time limit will likely be denied compensation for health issues related to contaminated water exposure at one or more Camp Lejeune facilities.
If you do not know how to file a lawsuit, you can still take advantage of your right to damages by hiring an attorney. A Nevada mass torts lawyer can guide you through the process and help you pursue damages you can use to pay for medical care and support your family.
Why Filing a Camp Lejeune Lawsuit Is Important
From 1953 to 1987, the Camp Lejeune facilities in North Carolina exposed the people who lived and worked there to toxic water that contained volatile organic compounds (VOLS). Because of this exposure to harmful chemicals, many victims of water contamination developed serious health issues like kidney cancer, bladder cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, esophageal cancer, myelodysplastic syndromes, hepatic steatosis, and several other types of cancer.
By filing a case for damages, you are helping to hold the government accountable by making it pay a fair value for the injuries, distress, and losses you have suffered. Your family could be reimbursed for any financial and intangible damages.
Why It Is Possible to File a Camp Lejeune Toxic Water Claim
H.R. 6482, also called the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022, was passed in January 2022. It allows veterans and their families to seek compensation if they meet the following criteria:
- They were at a Camp Lejeune facility at any time between August 1, 1953, to December 31, 1987.
- Their stay at the Camp Lejeune facility lasted at least 30 days.
- They have enough evidence to establish that they were at a qualifying facility and that they were diagnosed with a medical condition that has been linked to the Camp Lejeune water toxins. Such conditions typically include Parkinson’s disease and various kinds of cancers.
- They start their case prior to the deadline to file a Camp Lejeune lawsuit set forth in the Act.
This Act was passed to acknowledge the harm done to the people at Camp Lejeune and to give those people a way to seek compensation for their years of preventable suffering.
For a free legal consultation, call (725) 900-9000
Getting Compensation After Toxic Water Exposure at Military Base Camp Lejeune
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) explains that there are two ways for veterans and/or their families to receive financial help after their toxic exposure. The first way is to file for disability benefits with VA. This allows people with certain conditions to receive regular payments for disability and medical care.
The second way involves filing a claim under the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022. You have until August 10, 2024, to file your water contamination claim.
Damages Available Under the Camp Lejeune Justice Act
Unlike VA benefits, which generally cover only medical expenses and disability benefits, you could potentially ask for a much wider range of damages through a lawsuit. Through your claim for financial compensation, you may recover damages like:
- Pain and suffering, which covers the physical distress your condition has caused
- Medical bills, including any medications, doctor’s appointments, or treatments you needed
- Emotional distress, if you now suffer from anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder because of your injury or illness
- Loss of wages for the money you could not earn while undergoing or recuperating from treatment, or when your symptoms became too painful for you to work through them
- Reduced quality of life, which includes the inability to live independently or to otherwise engage in activities you want to do because of your condition
- Loss of earning capacity, which represents wages you would have earned if your condition were not affecting your health
- Loss of consortium, if your condition has had an impact on—or even brought an end to—your relationship with a close relative
Meeting the Camp Lejeune Lawsuit Deadline With Legal Assistance
Camp Lejeune lawsuit attorneys are available in your area to assess your case (often at no charge) and help you navigate the legal system to seek long-overdue justice for your family. They can manage your entire case from start to finish, so you do not have to do so. You would only be required to:
- Receive frequent updates from your representative regarding your case’s progress
- Make big-picture decisions, which your lawyer would assist you with by providing information and guidance as needed
- Pay their attorney’s fee, which many firms are happy to bill for only after your case has concluded
How an Attorney Might Handle the Camp Lejeune Lawsuit Legal Process
Everyone’s situation is different and presents unique challenges—and opportunities—to your legal team. They can work with you to come up with a personalized legal strategy and inform you of potential obstacles specific to your case. Below is a very general overview of how your case might go:
- Your law firm will launch a thorough investigation into your medical condition and history. They’ll explain your legal options based on the facts of your case.
- They will collect all the evidence they can find to establish both your presence at Camp Lejeune and the nature of your health condition. This evidence may include your medical records, employment records, military records, and statements from your healthcare providers.
- Evidence in hand, they will file your claim under the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022. They can also help you pursue VA disability benefits if you wish to do so.
- If there is any dispute or disagreement from the government regarding your case, your attorney can meet with them to work out any issues and negotiate for a fair settlement.
Your Lawyer Can Provide Support After Your Dangerous Chemical Exposure
Even though the Camp Lejeune contamination occurred decades ago, the hurt this incident has caused will never fully go away. Your entire family has already suffered far more than you should have, so the idea of dredging everything up again by filing a lawsuit may be a difficult one.
A free consultation with a law firm in your area can ease many of your doubts and concerns. While your trusted legal representative champions your rights, you would not have to worry about any legal matter, and you would always have access to legal representation to answer your questions.
Ready to File a Camp Lejeune Lawsuit? Connect With Our Law Firm Today to Take Legal Action
Van Law Firm encourages you to contact our office as soon as possible, as the deadline to file a Camp Lejeune lawsuit is approaching quickly. Get a free case evaluation by calling us today, and find out what our team can do to secure the compensation you deserve.
No obligation consultations are always free.Let Us Help You! Call Now: (725) 900-9000
These guys are amazing. Helped me throughout the process. Always there when I need help. Inititailly called a law firm (the one that has lots of ads on the radio), but they declined my case. Van Law Firm accepted my case without a second thought! Kudos to Daniel, my case manager, and Amanda who expedited my payment process. Highly recommended.Milby Mags
Got in an accident at the beginning of the year and they have been awesome, especially with it being my first accident and me being like this. They have been very communicated, stayed in contact with me the whole time, giving me updates when there were any and even when there weren’t and answered any question I had. I would recommend them to anyone. Everyone I have talked to there has been very friendly. I would give them a 10 out of 10.Ethan Gullet
They made sure that my insurance company covered what I paid for them to which included the gap for my car that was totaled. My medical costs were taken care of and reduced substantially so I was able to get more on my settlement. My case manager, Will Garcia, was always helpful in assisting me and answering any questions I had. They really did an amazing job with my case. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of this type of legal help. Most lawyers do not help you with the recovery of the car and rental etc. They are amazing.Teresa Cuthbertson