Hit and run accidents are devastating events that can easily leave you feeling overwhelmed and confused about what to do. If you want help sorting through your legal options and fighting for your rights, a lawyer from Van Law can assist you.
Our car accident lawyer never charges attorney’s fees until after winning compensation for our clients. This enables anyone who wants our help to access it without worrying about legal expenses. Call Van Law today to get started.
Hit and Run Crashes and Your Damages
Your main reason for wanting to file a hit and run case may be to secure reimbursement for the money you lost (or will lose) due to the collision. This is more than understandable: as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports, Americans lose $55 billion due to auto accidents every year.
Van Law’s hit and run accident lawyer can seek maximum compensation from the responsible party for:
- Medical costs: Whether you have finished treatment already or will require extensive care for years to come, a settlement can cover the costs of all necessary treatments and medical expenses.
- Loss of wages: Not being able to go to work can have a big impact on your family’s financial stability. Compensation can help reestablish that balance, especially if you suffered permanent injuries that will have a long-term effect on your earning capacity.
- Property damage: This can be very helpful if your car was damaged or totaled in the crash and you need help paying for repairs or alternative modes of transportation.
Hit and Run Compensation for Non-economic Damages
While financial concerns might be your top priority, it is important not to overlook your intangible losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering: You may feel some pain immediately, while symptoms of TBIs, mental trauma, or back injuries may be delayed. Either way, this is unnecessary pain caused by a careless driver, and you deserve damages.
- Disability: Both temporary disabilities, such as concussions, and permanent ones, such as permanent brain damage, cause significant inconvenience and could entitle you to compensation.
- Reduced quality of life: Maybe your injuries forced you to give up an activity you love, or maybe you need help with the most basic living tasks. Such factors can increase the amount of financial compensation you receive.
Wrongful Death Damages After a Hit and Run
Tragically, some hit and run crashes are so serious that they cause fatal injuries. When this happens, Van Law supports our clients to the fullest, giving them time and space to grieve while we pursue damages for:
- Funeral expenses: Your loved one deserves to be laid to rest with respect, but burials can be costly. A legal action could get you reimbursement.
- Loss of companionship: Comfort, affection, and advice are just a few of the benefits that your loved one brought to your relationship—and that you could seek compensation for in a legal action.
- Loss of financial support: If your loved one used their income to help support the household, you could have trouble maintaining your standard of living without them. We can calculate the estimated value of their lifelong earnings.
Getting Hit and Run Compensation Can Be Complicated
You probably have many questions about how to get damages after your collision. For example:
- What if you cannot find the hit and run driver?
- What if you do find the driver but they deny liability or are uninsured?
- Will your own car insurance cover your losses?
- How much is your case worth?
- Will you have to go to court to recover damages for medical expenses and other related losses?
Van Law Can Answer Your Hit and Run Questions
Our legal team knows how easy it is to get lost in the legal process. We can guide you through it by:
- Creating a complete list of damages and assessing the value of each one
- Determining who was at fault by searching for the hit and run driver and/or identifying another liable party who contributed to your injuries
- Contacting the insurance company—either your own or the liable party’s—to ask for compensation
- Negotiating with the insurer to get a fair settlement without going to trial
- Taking your case to court if necessary and fighting hard for a jury award
- Managing all paperwork, including settlement agreements, that needs to be filled out and submitted
- Updating you throughout the course of your case and helping you make critical decisions about how to deal with challenges at each step
Hit and Run Accidents Are Illegal
While traffic laws vary from state to state, the law in most states runs along these lines:
- If a driver causes an accident that leads to death, injury, or significant property damage, they must stop as close to the scene as possible without obstructing traffic.
- The at-fault driver must then speak to the people in the other car and supply them with key information, including their name, insurance provider, and driver’s license.
- If anyone needs medical help, the at-fault driver must make sure they get it by calling for emergency services or transporting them to a medical facility.
- The driver is not allowed to leave the accident scene until they have completed all tasks the law asks of them.
Penalties for Causing Hit and Run Accidents
Again, these differ depending on where you live and on the extent of the damage the hit and run driver caused. Penalties typically include fines, jail or prison time, and/or mandatory attendance of special classes designed to educate the driver about road safety, anger management, or other related topics.
No matter where you live, you have the right to hold a reckless driver responsible for the damage they caused. The experienced lawyers at Van Law can help you seek justice after a traumatizing hit and run accident. You are not alone in this fight.
Call Our Hit and Run Accident Attorney Today
The sooner you get in touch with a hit and run accident lawyer from Van Law, the more we may be able to do to get you fair compensation. Contact our office for a free case review to find out more. We can confront the at-fault party and/or the insurance company on your behalf so you do not have to deal with them by yourself.
These guys are amazing. Helped me throughout the process. Always there when I need help. Inititailly called a law firm (the one that has lots of ads on the radio), but they declined my case. Van Law Firm accepted my case without a second thought! Kudos to Daniel, my case manager, and Amanda who expedited my payment process. Highly recommended.Milby Mags
Got in an accident at the beginning of the year and they have been awesome, especially with it being my first accident and me being like this. They have been very communicated, stayed in contact with me the whole time, giving me updates when there were any and even when there weren’t and answered any question I had. I would recommend them to anyone. Everyone I have talked to there has been very friendly. I would give them a 10 out of 10.Ethan Gullet
They made sure that my insurance company covered what I paid for them to which included the gap for my car that was totaled. My medical costs were taken care of and reduced substantially so I was able to get more on my settlement. My case manager, Will Garcia, was always helpful in assisting me and answering any questions I had. They really did an amazing job with my case. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of this type of legal help. Most lawyers do not help you with the recovery of the car and rental etc. They are amazing.Teresa Cuthbertson