Most parents jump at the opportunity to take their children swimming because it’s a great way for them to have fun and get a little exercise. While we would never argue against this, we would simply say that proper safety measures and supervision are paramount anytime children are in or around the pool, as children (especially those under 15) are the most vulnerable demographic in terms of swimming pool injuries.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the numbers behind these injuries:
The Data Regarding Child Swimming Pool Injuries
For the most part, people only associate swimming pool injuries with drownings or near-drownings. However, other water-related injuries are actually much more common: according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), for every American child who suffers a drowning or near-drowning, there are 5 others who receive emergency care for separate swimming pool injuries.
As far as where these injuries occur, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) tells us that:
- Just under half (47 percent) of children injured in swimming pools did so at a private (residential) pool.
- 27 percent were injured in public or commercial pools, and there was no listed location for the remaining 26 percent.
Unfortunately, when these accidents do happen, the injuries tend to be severe:
- Over half of swimming pool accident victims who were treated in emergency rooms required further hospitalization or a transfer to a separate facility.
- Medical expenses for swimming pool accident victims can cost well over $5,000 for initial treatment and can grow to as much as $250,000/year if long-term treatment is required.
- In the event that a pool-related accident causes brain damage, the treatments and care required could easily reach a total of $5 million or more.
Consult With Top-Tier Swimming Pool Drowning Attorneys Now
If the negligence of another caused you or your child to suffer swimming pool-related injuries, you will likely only have one opportunity to recover your rightful compensation. Take full advantage of it by calling the award-winning team of swimming pool drowning attorneys from Van Law Firm today. We will work hard to obtain the evidence necessary to prove your claim so that you can get back to living the life you love. Call our office nearest you today for more information and no-obligation consultation.