Dangerous Chemicals in Hair Relaxers – What You Need to Know
Hair relaxers, which are products that help give hair a straight appearance, contain dangerous chemicals that have been linked to serious health conditions. If you develop cancer or another illness after using hair relaxer products, you may be eligible for compensation.
An attorney at our firm can assist you with any questions or concerns. If you can file an individual lawsuit or join a multi-plaintiff lawsuit, our firm can assist you.
The Hair Relaxer Process Releases Dangerous Gas
As the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) explains, most hair-relaxing products produce formaldehyde gas when applied to hair. You may breathe or otherwise ingest this gas as you (or others) straighten your hair, exposing you to serious short- and long-term health consequences.
Formaldehyde Is Linked to Serious Health Problems, Including Cancer
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) explains that formaldehyde gas exposure can irritate exposed body parts, including the eyes, mouth, and throat. If you come into contact with formaldehyde gas continuously—as you might if you use hair relaxers regularly—the health consequences are even greater.
The American Cancer Society notes a link between formaldehyde gas and several cancers, including:
- Nasopharynx cancer (which affects the area of the throat behind the nose)
- Nasal sinus cancer
- Leukemia, including myeloid leukemia
- Nasopharyngeal cancer
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) notes that formaldehyde gas is a probable human carcinogen, meaning it has a probable risk of causing cancer in certain circumstances.
The Hair-Relaxing Process Brings You Into Close Contact with Formaldehyde Gas
Considering the toxic nature of formaldehyde gas, it is concerning that the hair-relaxing process brings you into such close proximity to the gas. This poses a clear risk of danger to those who straighten their hair using these toxic products.
The heating of hair relaxers is what poses a danger, so you could have been exposed to dangerous amounts of formaldehyde gas if:
- The gas reached your mouth or nose during the hair-relaxing process
- You have received or completed hair-straightening services in a poorly ventilated room
- You have used hair-relaxing products often
If you develop cancer or another illness after using hair relaxers, the manufacturers of these potentially dangerous products could be liable for your damages.
For a free legal consultation, call (725) 900-9000
What to Do Once You’ve Suffered an Illness Potentially Related to Hair Relaxer Use
If you suffer from any health condition you believe could be linked to hair relaxers, hiring a personal injury attorney may be your next step. In the early stages of your relationship with a lawyer, they will:
- Learn about when, how, and for how long you have used hair relaxers
- Get a brief medical profile to identify any conditions that may have resulted from exposure to formaldehyde gas
- Explain the next steps in the legal process
If you pursue legal action, an attorney from our firm will handle the next steps.
How an Attorney Will Assist with a Hair Relaxer Lawsuit
A lawyer from our team will lead every step in any hair relaxer lawsuit that you are eligible to bring and will assist you by doing the following:
- Documenting your damages: We’ll use your medical records and other documentation to prove how you’ve suffered losses due to hair relaxer use. Damages caused by hair relaxer chemicals can be economic (financial) and non-economic (non-financial) in nature.
- Calculating the cost of your damages: We will determine the total cost of your damages. This will show us how much compensation to seek from liable parties.
- Collecting evidence of negligence: Specifically, we’ll aim to prove that any hair-relaxing products you have used over the years are dangerous. We may use various test results to make this case.
- Negotiating a settlement: We’ll demand fair compensation from the manufacturer of a hair relaxer product or any other liable party named in your case.
If we need to take your case to court, we will. A dangerous product lawsuit comes with many responsibilities, and our team will handle them for you.
Potentially Recoverable Damages in a Hair Relaxer Lawsuit
We will seek fair compensation for every damage you have experienced, which may include:
- Medical expenses for diagnosing and treating medical conditions linked to hair relaxer use
- Your pain and suffering
- Lost income and other professional damages
Each client we represent has unique damages. Our team will consult your doctors, rely on expert opinions, and discuss your damages with you. Then, we’ll create a thorough, detailed record of your damages before entering settlement negotiations.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Call Van Law Today for Your Free Consultation
The personal injury team at Van Law has handled other lawsuits related to dangerous chemicals in hair relaxers. Countless individuals have suffered health problems because of formaldehyde gas produced by these products, and those victims now deserve justice.
An attorney from our firm will complete your case from start to finish. Call Van Law today for your free consultation. Don’t wait to call, as we may face a filing deadline for your case
No obligation consultations are always free.Let Us Help You! Call Now: (725) 900-9000