Filing a child sex abuse lawsuit in Nevada involves completing lawsuit paperwork, gathering evidence, and submitting your case on time. Some survivors of child sexual abuse hire an attorney to guide them in their pursuit of justice.
By working with a Las Vegas sexual abuse lawyer, you have someone to guide your lawsuit and each step of the legal process. Your legal team can collect evidence against the liable party, fight for the compensation you deserve, and tell you about the statute of limitations deadline that applies to your lawsuit. They’ll also provide a safe and welcoming environment that allows you to discuss the details of your case.
The Steps You Must Take to File a Nevada Child Sexual Abuse Lawsuit
While you can file a child sexual abuse case by yourself, many survivors find it less stressful to submit a civil lawsuit under an attorney’s guidance. This is because you must take the following steps to file a child sexual abuse lawsuit in Nevada:
- Prove another party owes you damages: Whether one or multiple parties contributed to the abuse, you must identify the liable party before you can sue them.
- Gather evidence of the abuse: You can file a child sexual abuse lawsuit if your child was abused or you were abused when you were a child. However, we will need to collect evidence proving your abuser is liable for your damages. Witness statements, medical records, and video footage may support your case.
- Complete essential paperwork: One of the first steps in seeking justice is to submit legal paperwork. You must file a complaint outlining your intentions to sue the liable party for the physical and emotional harm they caused.
- Submit your lawsuit on time: All sexual abuse survivors in Nevada must adhere to the state’s statute of limitations. This law outlines how long you have to submit a case. The filing deadline that applies to sexual abuse lawsuits varies depending on the details of your case.
In many cases, sexual abuse lawsuits settle before they go to court. However, if your case does go to trial, having a lawyer prepare witnesses and advocate for your best interests may be beneficial.
For a free legal consultation, call (725) 900-9000
You May Be Able to File a Child Sex Abuse Lawsuit Even If You Are an Adult Now
If you were sexually abused as a child, you do not have to move forward without seeking justice. Even if years have passed since the abuse, you may have options for demanding compensation and holding your abuser accountable.
According to NRS § 11.215, if you or your loved one was under 18 years old when the sexual abuse occurred, you may have up to 20 years after your 18th birthday to take legal action against the liable party.
It can be difficult to discuss your case with anyone and even harder to open a civil lawsuit years later. An attorney can work to make you feel as comfortable as you can throughout the legal process. Our team aims to hold the liable party accountable and seek the financial compensation you’re owed.
Damages You Could Recover as a Survivor of Sexual Abuse in Nevada
Child sexual abuse survivors may be entitled to various damages when they submit a lawsuit. Compensation can be awarded for any of the following:
- Medical bills related to the abuse
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress, such as if you now suffer from anxiety or depression
- Costs of mental health counseling, such as therapy or psychiatric appointments
- Loss of life enjoyment if the mental or physical injuries you suffered don’t allow you to participate in activities you used to enjoy
- Impaired quality of life
- Lost income if the abuse required you to take time away from work
- Reduced earning capacity if the abuse you endured caused physical or mental injuries that do not allow you to earn as much money as you could have before the incident
When you work with a personal injury lawyer in Nevada, they can calculate the value of your case. Your attorney can even assign a value to your intangible losses to ensure you demand a fair settlement that pays for all your damages.
Why You Might Decide to File a Child Sex Abuse Case
It isn’t easy to recount the details of your sexual abuse, which is why some survivors never sue their abuser. We understand that it can be a difficult decision to take legal action. Here are a few things to consider when deciding if you should file a lawsuit for child sex abuse in Nevada:
- It may provide you with a sense of closure.Opening a case for child sexual abuse can take an emotional toll on survivors. However, once you settle your case, you may feel a sense of closure toward the situation. Some child sex abuse survivors can move forward with their lives more easily, knowing they held their abuser accountable.
- It could prevent your abuser from harming anyone else. Once your abuser realizes their wrongful actions have been brought to light, they may be deterred from abusing anyone else.
- It allows you to seek damages for all the money you lost. Though no amount of money can truly make up for what you went through, it can help you remain financially afloat. Being able to access compensation allows you to get all the help you need without being financially burdened.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
A Child Sexual Abuse Lawyer Can Represent Your Nevada Case – Call Today
At Van Law Firm, our legal team will fiercely advocate for your rights. Regardless of how long ago your abuse occurred, we want to hear from you. Our team can explain your legal options and help you manage your lawsuit.
If you are ready to get started on your Nevada child sex abuse lawsuit, reach out to us today. We offer free, confidential consultations and can take your call 24/7.
No obligation consultations are always free.Let Us Help You! Call Now: (725) 900-9000
These guys are amazing. Helped me throughout the process. Always there when I need help. Inititailly called a law firm (the one that has lots of ads on the radio), but they declined my case. Van Law Firm accepted my case without a second thought! Kudos to Daniel, my case manager, and Amanda who expedited my payment process. Highly recommended.Milby Mags
Got in an accident at the beginning of the year and they have been awesome, especially with it being my first accident and me being like this. They have been very communicated, stayed in contact with me the whole time, giving me updates when there were any and even when there weren’t and answered any question I had. I would recommend them to anyone. Everyone I have talked to there has been very friendly. I would give them a 10 out of 10.Ethan Gullet
They made sure that my insurance company covered what I paid for them to which included the gap for my car that was totaled. My medical costs were taken care of and reduced substantially so I was able to get more on my settlement. My case manager, Will Garcia, was always helpful in assisting me and answering any questions I had. They really did an amazing job with my case. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of this type of legal help. Most lawyers do not help you with the recovery of the car and rental etc. They are amazing.Teresa Cuthbertson