Wegovy is a weight loss and weight management medication. For many users, the prescription drug causes mild side effects, including stomach discomfort. However, for some patients, Wegovy side effects and health issues can be severe and include life-threatening conditions like bowel obstructions and cancer.
If you or your loved one suffered an injury caused by Wegovy, a Las Vegas product liability lawyer with our firm can help you seek financial awards to pay for your medical treatment and other damages. Read on to learn more about the health problems associated with Wegovy and how you can seek justice for the harm caused by the medication.
What Is Wegovy and Why do Doctors Prescribe It?
Wegovy, made by drug manufacturer Novo Nordisk, is a brand-name, injectable medication containing the active ingredient semaglutide. Novo Nordisk also manufactures a second drug, Ozempic, with the same active ingredient.
These prescriptions are part of a class of drugs known as glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) agonists. Often used to treat people with diabetes, GLP-1 drugs mimic a hormone that tells the body to produce more insulin, thus lowering blood sugar. Recently, medications containing semaglutide are being used more widely to treat obesity and assist with weight loss.
For a free legal consultation, call (725) 900-9000
Wegovy Can Cause Mild to Moderate Stomach Pain and Discomfort
Many semaglutide users have only mild to moderate symptoms, primarily affecting the stomach and digestive system. According to Novo Nordisk, some of the most common potential side effects of Wegovy include the following:
- Stomach pain
- Upset stomach
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Stomach flu
- Allergic reaction
While the above side effects are usually mild, consult your doctor if you experience severe pain, discomfort, or long-term side effects.
Severe Wegovy Side Effects Include Serious Medical Conditions
Unfortunately, weight-loss medications can lead to severe side effects and health issues in some patients.
Wegovy’s packaging contains a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) mandated black box warning that the medication may cause thyroid tumors and thyroid cancer. Thyroid cancer is a severe health issue that can be fatal. Signs and symptoms of thyroid cancer include the following:
- Presence of a lump (nodule) you can feel under the skin on your neck
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Difficulty swallowing
- Change in voice, including hoarseness
- Pain in your throat and neck
Though not included on the mediation’s warning label, Wegovy and Ozempic users have also experienced the following severe and potentially fatal side effects and health issues:
- Severe hypoglycemia. Severe low blood sugar can cause shaking, sweatiness, dizziness, increased heart rate, and fainting, which can lead to bodily injury.
- Pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is inflammation in your pancreas that causes pain, discomfort, fever, nausea, and vomiting. Wagovy is also linked to gallstone pancreatitis (biliary pancreatitis), which occurs when a gallstone blocks the pancreatic duct.
- Gastroparesis. Also called gastric stasis or “stomach paralysis,” this condition occurs when the stomach takes too long to empty (delayed gastric emptying). Gastroparesis can cause blockages in the intestines and bowels.
- Kidney injuries. Drugs for weight loss may increase the risk of kidney problems, including acute kidney injury, diabetic kidney disease, chronic kidney disease, and kidney failure.
Can You Seek Compensation for Wegovy Injuries?
Those who have experienced severe medical conditions caused by semaglutide have filed weight loss drug lawsuits against Novo Nordisk, alleging the company failed to adequately warn users about the risks associated with Wegovy and Ozempic.
If you or your loved one suffered side effects of health issues because of a weight-loss medication or GLP-1 drug, our law firm can help you pursue economic justice with a personal injury lawsuit. Compensation may include the following:
- Medical expenses. You should not have to pay for medical care for injuries caused by a defective or dangerous medication. You can seek awards for emergency medical services, surgeries, hospital stays, diagnostic testing, medications and chemotherapy, rehabilitation, and long-term nursing.
- Lost income. You can recover your lost wages, earnings, and benefits if you cannot work due to Wegovy side effects or health problems. You can also pursue compensation for your lost future earning capacity if your medical condition prevents you from returning to your job.
- Pain and suffering. You can recover monetary awards for intangible losses, including physical pain, mental anguish, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment, inconvenience, and diminished quality of life.
- Wrongful death. You can seek wrongful death damages if your loved one died from a health problem caused by a weight loss drug. Compensation may include medical bills, funeral and burial costs, the deceased’s lost income and future financial contributions, and the loss of your loved one’s care, companionship, and support.
- Punitive damages. Sometimes, the court will award injured parties punitive damages if it believes the at-fault party acted with malice, gross negligence, or intentional harm.
How Long do You Have to File Your Case?
When pursuing a lawsuit, you must adhere to the statute of limitations. This deadline outlines how long you have from when your injury occurred to file your case in civil court. Failing to act in time will likely result in a refusal of your case.
Time limits vary from state to state. We can tell you more about the laws where you live and help you get started on your claim for compensation before it is too late.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Do You Need an Attorney to Handle Your Wegovy Claim?
Taking on a pharmaceutical company for a drug-related injury can seem daunting and intimidating, but you do not have to fight alone. Our firm’s experienced product liability attorneys can prove that Wegovy, Ozempic, or another GLP-1 medication caused your health condition.
While you rest and recover, we will do the work needed to build a solid case. Our goal is to secure the maximum compensation possible for you and your family.
Contact Van Law About Your Wegovy Injury
If you or your loved one suffered a severe side effect or health issue after taking Wegovy or another weight loss medication, you may have grounds for a weight loss drug lawsuit. Contact Van Law for a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you seek compensation for nothing upfront or out of pocket.
No obligation consultations are always free.Let Us Help You! Call Now: (725) 900-9000
These guys are amazing. Helped me throughout the process. Always there when I need help. Inititailly called a law firm (the one that has lots of ads on the radio), but they declined my case. Van Law Firm accepted my case without a second thought! Kudos to Daniel, my case manager, and Amanda who expedited my payment process. Highly recommended.Milby Mags
Got in an accident at the beginning of the year and they have been awesome, especially with it being my first accident and me being like this. They have been very communicated, stayed in contact with me the whole time, giving me updates when there were any and even when there weren’t and answered any question I had. I would recommend them to anyone. Everyone I have talked to there has been very friendly. I would give them a 10 out of 10.Ethan Gullet
They made sure that my insurance company covered what I paid for them to which included the gap for my car that was totaled. My medical costs were taken care of and reduced substantially so I was able to get more on my settlement. My case manager, Will Garcia, was always helpful in assisting me and answering any questions I had. They really did an amazing job with my case. I would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of this type of legal help. Most lawyers do not help you with the recovery of the car and rental etc. They are amazing.Teresa Cuthbertson