Google Rating
Based on 437 reviews

What happens after a car accident that is not your fault?

Car accidents can be scary and stressful, and they can cause your life to be suddenly filled with problems and expenses that were not there before. If the accident was not your fault, you will need to contact your own insurance company to tell them about the accident, and also contact the at-fault driver’s insurance company to get compensated for the damage that the at-fault driver caused.

Instead of trying to handle all of this on your own, you can contact the attorneys at Van Law Firm to help. We will be there for you every step of the way to make sure that you get the compensation that you deserve. Consultations are always free.

Safety after an accident

After you are in a car accident, make sure to follow the necessary steps to ensure that everyone is safe and an official accident report is made. It is also important to get photos of the scene of the crash, exchange information with the at-fault driver, and write down the information about the accident sometime in the same day while your memory of the event is fresh.

Generally, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will pay for vehicle repairs and medical treatment. However, insurance companies will often offer significantly less money than you deserve. They may refuse to cover the costs altogether. This is where an attorney can help. Your attorney will communicate directly with the at-fault driver’s insurance company so you don’t have to. If the insurance company doesn’t offer you a fair amount of money, your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company and attempt to get a fair settlement for you.


Remember, the most that you can receive from an at-fault driver’s insurance is their policy limit. State laws determine the minimum coverage drivers are required to carry, but drivers can elect to carry more. Sometimes the limit of a driver’s policy will not be enough to pay for the cost of your medical treatment, so it is always a good idea to make sure that you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) through your own car insurance policy. Then, if your costs are not entirely covered by the at-fault driver’s insurance, or if the person who hit you does not have insurance, your own insurance will cover the remainder of the costs.

Negotiations and Lawsuits

If the at-fault driver’s insurance company does not offer a reasonable amount of money and will not negotiate further, your attorney may suggest that you file a lawsuit. Sometimes, when your attorney notifies the insurance company that they are going to file a lawsuit, the insurance company will then offer a larger sum of money and the lawsuit will not actually occur.

If the at-fault driver’s insurance company still won’t make a reasonable offer, your attorney will file a lawsuit and your case will go to court. At that point, your case could go to mediation, arbitration, or to a jury trial.

If you’ve been injured in a car wreck and need an attorney, choose the experienced attorneys at Van Law Firm to guide you through your case. Our experienced attorneys understand the different pre-litigation and alternative dispute resolution options and will use them to help you get the most compensation possible for your accident. Call our office today for a free case evaluation and consultation!