Defending You in a Las Vegas Trucking Accident
Trucking accidents can affect your life in a number of different ways– painful physical injuries, mounting medical expenses, and disturbances to your normal routine can make it feel as though you’re slowly sinking in place. At Van Law Firm, we understand these feelings and that’s why we work tirelessly to recoup all we can for our clients.
As a trusted personal injury firm, we can take care of these issues in a swift and professional manner, so that you can get your life back on track and get back to full health. Our trusted Las Vegas trucking accident attorneys are always accepting clients– we have years of experience negotiating with trucking and insurance companies, and with hundreds of 5-star reviews online, our work ethic is always on display.
Trucking Accident Causes
There are a large number of potential causes for any given trucking accident, either through human, mechanical, or weather-based issues. While truck drivers follow the same traffic laws as normal commuters, they are also the lowest part of the totem pole in terms of trucking, insurance, and manufacturer guidelines, so it should be pointed out that not all accidents are caused by the driver.
A relatively comprehensive list of common trucking accident causes will include:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Fatigued or drowsy driving
- Improperly changing lanes
- Defective vehicle components such as tires, brakes, brake lights, etc.
- Distracted driving, such as texting, eating, smoking, etc.
- Tailgating too closely behind another vehicle
- Failing to check mirrors for blindspots (or not having proper mirrors installed)
- Unsafe driving in inclimate weather situations
- Poor vehicle maintenance
- Cargo that is overloaded or improperly secured
- Driving without proper license or training
Unlike normal auto accidents, the liability for a trucking crash may fall onto multiple parties– of course, the driver can always be liable for any unsafe or impaired driving. However, the driver’s employer may share liability if they have policies in place that could be seen as being conducive to more crashes, such as longer drive time requirements or looser maintenance policies.
Even outside parties such as a leasing company that owns the truck or the vehicle manufacturer could share responsibility if an accident was caused by a mechanical error or faulty piece of equipment. Collisions may occur if a truck’s systems fail or are defective, such as the engine, transmission, trailer mechanisms, or the brakes.
A trucking accident is certainly a frightening experience to endure, but you should keep in mind that there are still important steps to take immediately following a collision.
- Get police to respond: Typically, police will respond to most trucking accidents given their scale. However, make sure to contact them regardless, so that you can get a copy of the accident report, which can be a crucial piece of evidence for your case. They will also test the other driver at the scene if he or she seems to be impaired in some way.
- Get medical help: Be sure to seek treatment for all injuries that are sustained, however insignificant they may feel. That way, if the defense tries to question your injuries, you can point to the fact that you received care immediately following the incident, not at a later time.
- Photograph the scene: Take pictures of the entire crash site and everything in it, including the damages to all of the vehicles involved. For a full list of pictures to take, visit here.
- Jot down notes: While the accident is fresh in your mind, try to jot down as many notes as you can remember about the crash. Some of these details may come in handy later.
- Exchange info: if you’re involved in a trucking accident, you should get the name, contact, and insurance information for both the driver and the company employing the driver. If a representative from the trucking company or their insurer contacts you, do not disclose any information under any circumstances. Employ the services of a trusted trucking accident attorney before consulting with anyone.
Let us help you!
Las Vegas Trucking Accident Attorneys
Why Should You Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
How Long Can a Personal Injury Case Take?
What You Should Know If You Were Involved in a Parking Lot Crash?